The most common questions on Terminology
The term is not highlighted in the project
It may happen that some terms in the project are not highlighted. The main reason for this behavior may be the occurrence of stopwords.
Stopwords is a set of popular, generic words in certain languages. We reject such words at the term decoration stage because of performance reasons and a large number of unwanted matches that may occur.
In this case, the word 'Next' is included in the stopwords list, so it will not be highlighted if it was previously added in Terminology.
- "Highlight all term variant" option won't highlight stopwords in either of its states (on/off).
- If a given term is still not highlighted in the editor or in Workbench, make sure that it is correctly added in the Terminology tab and that it is assigned to the appropriate customer and has the appropriate source and target language.
- However, it may happen that the terms are still not highlighted and cannot be correctly searched in Terminology. In this case, we recommend creating a ticket for our support team as it may be necessary to rebuild the terminology lucene indexes.
How to manage and import terminology including custom fields?
XTM allows you to create custom fields that display in the Terminology Manager. The fields allow you to add more information to a concept or term.
To add terminology custom field, please go to the Settings -> Date -> Custom fields
- Click on the Add button and enter a field name.
- Choose one of the 5 different types of custom fields:
- Multiple selection
After adding the terminology custom field, you have to enable it in Terminology configuration by clicking the wheel as on the screenshot below:
- Custom fields do not set Priority in Terminology results and it cannot determine anything.
- The Terminology can have a lot of fields, but do all the field are filtering fields? Unfortunately, no. The only filtering fields are: Source language, Customer, and of course Phrase.
- All other fields can only set the priority in which search results will be shown.
Add to existing concept duplicates
When you would like to import Terminology to an existing concept, you need to indicate a source language, or in other words, a concept language in which imports will be shown.
Assuming that we have a concept English(USA) to Germany(Germany), you can select danish, which did not have this Term in Danish>English(USA) combination and resulted in adding this term as a new concept, rather than adding Danish to the concept, where English(USA)> Germany(Germany) is.
Importing terms with custom fields:
In the above screenshot, you can see that a new custom field called "check" has been added as a custom field. The custom field can be enabled in the configuration settings to be displayed in the search bar.
The term with check custom filed has been previously added in Terminology and now we can export it by going to the Export tab.
The term has been exported using xlsx file type.
If you would like to import a term with a particular custom field, make sure that it has been previously created in the XTM. On the above picture, you have an example of how it looks like in the exported XLSX file. To import a new value in a terminology custom field, you can modify the existing word "test" and re-import the new file into XTM. Make sure you have enabled the ‘Add to existing concept’ option when importing a new terminology file in case you do not want to create a duplicate term.
Why there is no language in Terminology language dropdown?
You can experience such behavior when selecting Language in the Term Manager. The languages are not shown. This problem often happens, when Global settings for language combinations are set to ‘’Customised language combination only’’ and there is no language added.
The root cause of this problem may be that your customer is using different language combinations settings. We recommend using system default language combinations in order to see All languages in the search bar.
Make sure that the client settings for language combinations look the same as below: